British Glass’ annual showcase of the UK glass industry, the Glass Focus Awards, took place last night (21 November) with companies from across the whole glass supply chain celebrating their achievements over the past year.
Held at the Mercure St Paul’s Hotel in Sheffield, the best of what the UK glass sector has to offer was on show, from ground-breaking innovation and the fresh faces of the industry already making a difference.
Saint-Gobain Glass UK were the big winners of the night taking home three awards while Encirc also claimed two prizes and Knottingley-based Allied Glass were crowned company of the year following judging by a panel of industry experts.
British Glass CEO Dave Dalton said: “Each year the entries we receive for the Glass Focus awards showcase excellent examples of what our industry can do, from serving our customers, investing in our workforce, reducing our environmental impact and beyond. While the last year has been incredibly uncertain for businesses across the UK, it is testament to our industry that it can consistently produce forward thinking innovations, such as the swabbing robots and use of virtual reality, extend its influence into the communities surrounding the factories and produce beautiful designs that wouldn’t be possible in any other material than glass. British Glass is proud of the achievements of all those who entered the awards and, of course, our winners and we look forward to seeing what the industry is capable of in the next 12 months.”
The full list of winners at Glass Focus 2019 are as follows:
- Design of the Year – container: The Ardagh Group with their Glenfiddich whisky bottle
- Design of the Year – flat: Saint-Gobain Glass UK for their work on the Macallan Distillery and visitor centre
- Innovative Solution: Encric’s state of the art virtual reality training room
- Health and Safety Action: Joint winners - Encirc and Socabelec for their hot end Swabbing Robots
- Sustainable Practice: Saint-Gobain Glass UK with their ‘Glass Forever’ post-consumer flat glass recovery and recycling initiative
- Strengthening Business Through People: O-I’s ‘Career Ready’ community programme
- Apprentice of the Year: Joe Boyd of Saint-Gobain Glass UK
- Company of the Year: Allied Glass